Duration and Semesters
0.5-1 year for non-degree students, 4 years for undergraduate students, and 1-5 years for graduate students. Duration is different for different majors.
Each academic year is divided into spring semester and autumn semester. Autumn semester often starts in early September and ends in mid-January next year, while spring semester lasts from late February till mid-July. For exact dates, please refer to the academic calendar of Beijing Foreign Studies University (hereinafter referred to as “BFSU”).
(1) Undergraduate Programmes
Duration: 4 years. Students will be awarded diplomas upon successful completion of programme courses and the oral defence of the dissertation. They will be awarded a degree certificate if they fulfil the requirements for bachelor’s degree.
(2) Graduate Programmes
Duration: 1-3 years, depending on the major. Students will be awarded diplomas and master’s degree if they have obtained all credits and completed the dissertation as well as the oral defence.
(3) Postgraduate Programmes
Duration: 3-5 years, depending on the major. Students will be awarded diplomas and doctoral degree if they have obtained all credits, made certain achievements in scientific research, and completed the doctoral thesis as well as the oral defence.
(1) Preparatory Programmes
Duration: 0.5 year. A student can be recommended to a relevant undergraduate major in BFSU if they have good performance at school during the preparatory programmes and have passed the assessment and exams with good grades.
(2) Programmes for Visiting Students
Duration: 0.5-1 year. Extension of study can be applied under specific circumstances. A student will be granted a certificate of completion of BFSU if they have completed courses in Chinese language or the other majors as required and passed exams.
(3) Programmes for Senior Visiting Students
Duration: 0.5-1 year. An extension of study can be applied under certain circumstances. A student will be granted a certificate of completion of BFSU if they have completed courses of Chinese Language or the other majors as required and passed exams.
(4) Programmes for Short-Term Visiting Students (During Winter and Summer Vacations)
Duration: 1-8 weeks. Only a short-term programme in Chinese language is now available. A certificate of completion of BFSU will be issued upon the completion of programme courses.
Note: Please refer to the admission guide for specific majors or programmes for details.
1. Beor be over18 years of age;
2. Non-Chinese citizens should hold a valid ordinary foreign passport;
3. Meet the physical examination requirements for Chinese Visa or Residence Permit applicants;
4. Have no violation of disciplines, no punishment for public security, and no criminal conduct and record. Have friendly feelings towards China and behave well. Comply with Chinese laws and university regulations, and respect Chinese customs and manners;
5. According to Notice on Regulating Higher Education Institutions’ Enrolment of International Students (Ministry of Education, Jiao Wai Lai No. 83, 2009), international undergraduate students who were residents in Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan and have immigrated to a foreign country should abide by the following regulation:
(1) Applicants should hold a valid foreign passport or nationality certificate for 4 years and more, and have a record proving that the applicants have stayed abroad for more than 2 years during the last 4 years (as of 30 April 2019) (staying abroad for over 9 months in a year will be counted as one year and calculation of the duration of stay will be based on the entry and exit stamps).
(2) Former residents of Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan who have returned China for high school education and graduated fall in the category of expatriates settling in China if they have not restored Chinese nationality. If applicants meet the application requirements for colleges and universities in China, they can sign up for the National College Entrance Examination at a location designated by the provincial-level admission committee in the Province/Autonomous Region/ Municipality where they live with the ExpatriateResidence Permits issued by the public security bureau of the Province/Autonomous Region/ Municipality.
Application & Enrollment Procedure
BFSU accepts online application. Applicants can log into the China International Student Service System of Beijing Foreign Studies University (http://study.bfsu.edu.cn) and apply.
(1) The application system is accessible: from mid-March to mid-July; and from mid-October to mid-December;
(2) Application language: Chinese or English;
(3) Applicants must fill in real, correct and complete information online. The applicant should shoulder all consequences and responsibility should there be any wrong, missing or false information and the admission and enrollee be affected as a result;
(4) In addition to the online information, applicants shall attach and upload the documentation as required. The attachments shall be scanned in colour, and the originals shall be kept in case of verification. Please refer to Appendix 1 for the list of documents.
BFSU will review the application documents and organize entrance exams or assessments.
During this period of time, applicants can log into the China International Student Online Service System (http://study.bfsu.edu.cn) to check the application progress and relevant notices.
For applicants who have passed the application document review and the exams/assessment, BFSU will issue admission letters as well as relevant admission documents including the “Visa Application for Study in China (JW202 Form)”, depending on the duration of the programme applied.
The above documents will be sent out after 4-5 weeks after the completion of admission procedure.
BFSU will review the documents again after admission, and is entitled to disqualify the applicant for admission if there is any irregularity.
New students must register in person at BFSU according to the time specified in the Admission Letter. Please bring the Admission Letter, the original JW201/202 Form, and eight white background passport photos (2 x 2") with you for registration. If you have had a physical examination in your home country, please bring all the original medical examination materials.
6.Review after Registration
BFSU will review the applicant again after registration and is entitled to nullify the admission if there is any irregularity.
Please apply for an X1 or X2 China Student Visa at the Chinese Embassy/Consulate with the Admission Letter and Visa Application for Study in China (JW202/201 Form) before entering the country (for specific details of the documents needed, please contact the Chinese Embassy/Consulate).
International students must purchase the group all-risk insurance designated by BFSU. Those who do not purchase the insurance as required will not be able to get registered.
The insurance can be purchased before or on the day of registration. Insurance premium reference:300 Yuan for six months;600 Yuan for a year.
Please refer to Appendix 2for tuition fees of each major.
Please refer to admission guides of specific majors for tuition fees of short-term programmes and new majors.
The registration fee will not be refunded once it has been charged.
Tuition fees are paid in one lump sum on a semester or academic year basis. Tuition fees for non-Chinese language majors are paid in one lump sum on an academic year basis.
Students who choose to pay their tuition fees via bank transfer should transfer the money to the designated account and keep the proof of payment in case of verification. In the case of dropout and school transfer, refunds (if any) shall be made in accordance with the Provisional Regulation on Charges for International Students at BFSU .
Fees and refunds are all denominated in RMB.
Those who fail to pay tuition fees in full and on time will not be able to get registered.
See Appendix 3for accommodation fees.
Tel of Accommodation Management: 0086-10-88816881.
Given the limited dormitory resources, in the first semester, BFSU accepts no room reservation but will assist new students with their accommodation with pre-allocation of designated type of apartments. From the second semester on, reservation for accommodation can be made.
Room applications by diploma students in their final year are subject to room availability. In principle, BFSU will no longer provide on-campus apartments.
Students who choose to live off campus during their study should arrange their own accommodation in advance. Those who choose to live in a residential community should accompanied by the landlord within 24 hours of check-in, go to the nearest police station for the Registration Form of Temporary Residence.
Students living off-campus can proceed on enrolment and visa with the valid registration form of temporary residence.
Beneficiary：BEIJING FOREIGN STUDIES UNIVERSITY LB
Bank：INDUSTRIAL AND COMMERCIAL BANK OF CHINA
BEIJING MUNICIPAL BRANCH ZIZHUYUAN BANKING OFFICE
Account No.020000 7609 02640 2172
Swift Code: ICBKCNBJBJM
Overseas Students Affairs Office, Beijing Foreign Studies University
Address: Room 201, Student Center, 2 North Xisanhuan Avenue, Haidian District, Beijing