Registration and Enrolment
1. General visiting students include students specialized in Chinese language and those in other programs. Students specialized in Chinese language are international students who take Chinese language training courses at the School of Chinese Language and Literature (hereinafter referred to as SCLL), Beijing Foreign Studies University (hereinafter referred to as BFSU), while students in other programs are those who take specialized courses in other schools.
2. Visiting students should register within the date specified by BFSU and then go to the schools where they study to enroll in courses with their student cards.
3. Those who do not register for more than two weeks without asking for leave or having not been approved of leave will be deemed to drop out automatically.
4. Students specialized in Chinese language will be arranged to suitable Chinese language classes based on their performance in the admission examination. They will enroll in courses and purchase teaching materials under the guidance of SCLL teachers.
5. Course enrollment follows the principle that resources are allocated based on priorities. Degree students are prioritized in regular course enrolment, while program students are prioritized in special program course enrolment
6. In principle, visiting students can only enroll in courses of the schools where they have registered. If he or she would like to enroll in the courses offered by other schools, tuition fees must be paid in accordance with regulations.
7. Inter-university exchange students should enroll in courses in accordance with the relevant provisions of the agreement.
8. In principle, senior visiting students and research scholars do not enroll in courses, and should start their research under the guidance of their supervisor after registration. The permission from the supervisor and school is required if they intend to observe courses.
Attendance and Absence
1. Any absence due to personal reasons should be authorized in advance. Senior visiting students and research scholars should ask their supervisors and school for permission before taking leave, while general visiting students should apply to their school. Those who take leave for more than a week or leave the mainland of China should inform the Overseas Students Affairs Office ahead of time.
2. Visiting students on leave for more than a month within one semester shall be deemed to drop out. Unauthorized absence from classes will be dealt with pursuant to relevant provisions prescribed in International Students Handbook at Beijing Foreign Studies University.
3. Those who have missed a third of the class hours of a course (including taking leave, unauthorized absence, late and early leave) within one semester are not allowed to take the final exam of the course and no make-up exam will be offered.
1. Visiting students who intend to continue their studies at BFSU after the completion of the program should apply to their school for an extension within the prescribed time. With the approval from their school, students should go to the Overseas Students Affairs Office to complete the extension procedure.
2. If exchange students intend to extend their studies, they should be nominated by the sending university in advance and apply to the school within the prescribed time, and submit the application to the Overseas Students Affairs Office after approval. BFSU will examine and approve the application based on their academic performance and behavior at the university.
3. Scholarship students who intend to extend their studies should obtain prior approval from scholarship authority, otherwise extension procedures will be processed in accordance with the requirements of self-financed students.
4. Application for extension is usually dealt with in May and December. Corresponding tuition fees are required.
Withdrawal Procedure, Transcript and Certificate
1. Visiting students should go through the withdrawal procedure and apply for a Certificate of Attendance at the Overseas Students Affairs Office in case of an early termination of the program.
2. Visiting students can obtain official transcripts and a certificate of completion only after completing the withdrawal procedure.
3. Enrolled courses with corresponding grades can be included in the transcript
4. Visiting students’ transcripts are issued by each school. Students can apply for the transcript of inter-school courses they have enrolled in. The Overseas Students Affairs Office will collect grades of all enrolled courses and issue an official transcript.
1. The Regulations shall enter into force as of November 1st, 2017.
2. The English version is offered for the convenience of international students. The Chinese version shall prevail in terms of final interpretation and execution.