Introduction of BFSU MA and PhD Programs for International Students
1. Departments and majors
Please see BFSU Master’s Program List and BFSU Doctoral Program List.
2. Learning mode and study duration
1) Learning mode
2) Study duration
(1) Master’s candidates: 2-3 years；Max. 4 years including extension
(2) Doctoral candidates: 3-4 years；Max. 6 years including extension
3. Targeted applicants and application requirements
1) Applicants must hold a passport of any country except China
2) Application requirements
(1) Applicants must be ready to abide by the laws and regulations of China and of BFSU, to respect the customs of Chinese people and behave accordingly.
(2) Applicants must be in good health.
(3) Master’s degree applicants must hold a Bachelor’s degree and a valid graduation certificate.
(4) Doctoral degree applicants must hold a Master’s degree and a valid graduation certificate.
(5) Applicants must be in possession of the academic records, academic level and language level required for their major of choice.
4. Application agenda
5. Please see “Introduction to Programs for International Students” of various departments (http://lb.bfsu.edu.cn). Application procedures
Applicant must apply online at: http://study.bfsu.edu.cn. Please see detailed online application instructions on http://lb.bfsu.edu (the document entitled “Application Procedures”).
6. Application materials
1) Application form for Foreigners Wishing to Study in China (fill online: http://study.bfsu.edu.cn)
2) Highest diploma (original or notarized Chinese version)
Please note: graduating student applicants must submit a pre-graduation certificate or a study certificate. After being accepted they must hand in their diploma or graduation certificate before they get their notice of acceptance.
3) Academic transcripts (original or notarized Chinese version)
4) A research proposal: proposal for Master’s applicants must be over 1500 words; proposal for Doctoral applicants must be over 3000 words
5) Custody release form (fill online: http://study.bfsu.edu.cn, can be downloaded after completion)
6) Two recommendation letters from experts with associate professor qualifications or above (or with similar qualifications).
7) Language requirements
(1) Chinese major applicants (including those applying for the School of Chinese Language and Literature and the Research Centre for Overseas Sinology) must submit their HSK report card (photocopy) as required below:
6—180 or above
6—210 or above
(2) Applicants who apply for programs taught only in English (graduation thesis proposal, thesis writing and defenses etc. all in English) must submit proof of English language proficiency as required below:
English language level proving materials
Non-native speaker of English
TOEFL(100 or above）or IELTS（7 or above） or GRE（1300 or above）
Native speaker of English
Need only submit passport, BA/MA graduation certificate and academic transcripts
(3) Applicants who apply for language programs except English (graduation thesis proposal, thesis writing and defenses etc. all in the language they apply for) must be native speakers of the target language. They must submit their passport, and a BA/MA graduation certificate issued by an academic institution of their native country.
(4) Applicants who apply for non-language programs taught in Chinese (graduation thesis proposal, thesis writing and defenses etc. all in Chinese) must submit their HSK report card (HSK 6/New HSK 5 180 or above, photocopy).
8) Valid ordinary passport (photocopy)
9) Curriculum vitae: in Chinese or in the language of the major they apply for; 800 words for Master’s program applicants and 1500 words for Doctoral program applicants, listing their study achievements, academic monographs and abstracts of published articles, and other original study achievements.
10) 3 recent 2 inch photos (uncovered head)
7. Application fee
Please see “Introduction to Programs for International Students” of each department. (http://lb.bfsu.edu.cn.)
1) The Graduate Student Enrolment Office and the Overseas Students’ Affairs Office present the materials checking or examination results to the BFSU Graduate Student Enrolment Leading Group for approval.
The Overseas Students’ Affairs Office sends a Notice of acceptance and a JW202 form (for visa application) and other materials to applicants accepted by post in June of admission year.
9. Registration, tuition fee, scholarship etc
Please consult the Overseas Students Affairs Office.
10. Awarding of Degrees
The postgraduate certificate and diploma issued by BFSU will be awarded to the students who complete the required duration of study and the required courses, pass all examinations, get a sufficient number of credits, pass the mid-term examination, and successfully defend their finished dissertation, upon examination and approval by the BFSU academic degree evaluation committee.
Overseas Students’ Affairs Office, Beijing Foreign Studies University
Room 201, Student Service Centre, East Campus, Beijing Foreign Studies University
No.2 North Xisanhuan Avenue, Haidian District, Beijing, 100089, China
Phone: +86 10 8881 6549